Creating a safer community for all is a top priority for Islington Labour.
Local people have told us that they are concerned about community safety. We are on their side in working to ensure Islington is a safe and welcoming borough for all.
But the Tory Government has massively cut funding to the police and council, making it harder to prevent and tackle crime.
The Tories have:
- Cut 300 Islington police officers since 2010
- Cut core central government funding to Islington Council by 70% since 2010
- Cut spending on policing in London by the biggest amount in England
Making Islington a fairer borough for all has to include tackling crime and preventing young people from becoming involved in worrying activity.
In the last few years to help prevent and tackle crime, the Islington Labour run council has –
- invested an extra £2 million in targeted services to help support young people at risk of turning to crime
- upgraded CCTV cameras that helps deter and catch criminals
Whilst progress is being made in tackling youth crime thanks to our local approach, the cuts to the police and council have made it harder to prevent and tackle crime.
We need the Tory Government to stop the cuts to our local police and to provide additional funding to the police and council to support our approach that is helping tackle youth crime.
SIGN THE PETITION TO SEND THE TORIES A MESSAGE
We the undersigned, call on the Tory Government to stop the cuts to our local police and to provide additional funding to the police and Islington Council to help prevent and tackle crime.